Thursday, June 26, 2008

Love in Action

Good Morning Genesis.

The LORD builds up Jerusalem;
he gathers the outcasts of Israel.
He heals the brokenhearted,
and binds up their wounds (Psalm 147:2)

Look at the verbs.

Today, some of you will build up your community.

Some of you will gather today … you will reach out to include the one whom others are likely to ignore.

Some of you will heal a brokenhearted co-worker or family member.

Some of you will be involved in “emergency room” care – you will bind up a wound, stop the bleeding or set the bone.

Read this passage again, but this time, say “I” – add the place where you live, where you work:

I build up Westchester, the YMCA or the local school.
I gather the outcasts at the office, or the nephew everyone hopes doesn’t show up at the family reunion.
I heal the brokenhearted,
And bind up their wounds … I pay attention, and I’m available.