Monday, July 9, 2018

Spiritual Bubble Living

For reasons known but to God, my Christian Faith will not allow me to live in a spiritual bubble.

Early on, of course, it was all bubble ... "Onward Christian Soldiers" and "When the Roll is Called Up Yonder."

Bubbles are needed for nurturing, I suppose, as a crib and swaddling is needed for an infant.

But at some point, I outgrew the bubble, or maybe, better yet, the bubble saw its job as done, turned away and bid me farewell.

Was it easy to watch the bubble walk away?

It still isn't easy.

There are moments when I look at the bubble and long for its comfort and innocence ... all sweet jesus ... no border kids, no killing of Palestinians, no poverty, no rightwing vulgarity ... just sweetness and light ... sounds like an extended vacation on a small Greek island ...

Where or where has my bubble gone?

My bubble did it's job, and when the job was done, it moved on ...

It's not easy, sometimes.

But here I am ... for reasons known but to God, my christian Faith will not allow me to live in a spiritual bubble.

No comments: