Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Living Where I Do

Living where I do.
I hear languages.
I see faces.
Cultures and worlds.

A mix of this and that.
Colors and colorful.
People.
Not like me.

Just like me.
Wanting love.
Peace.
Opportunity.

Loving their children.
Grandchildren.
Wondering how to pay the bills.
Just like me.

Not like me.
Foods flavored and scented.
Tastes new for me.
Tastes good, most of it.

Trying to saying a name.
My mouth doesn't work too well.
They laugh at me.
Appreciate my effort.

Good people.
Lots of them.
Millions of them.
Billions, even.

And fear says, "Watch out."
That one over there.
Not to be trusted.
Which may be true.

But to turn the world upside down.
Because of some.
And deny everyone else.
Is the height of great evil.

The height of a wall.
The height of xenophobia.
The height of ignorance.
The height of lies.

I refuse to do that.
I'll take my chances.
To see people.
Just like me.

And not like me.
Because we're all different.
As it should be.
As it must be.

And we're all the same.
When the lights go out.
When the day is done.
When we lay down to sleep.

Now I lay me down to sleep.
I pray the LORD my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake.
I pray the LORD my soul to take.


No comments: