Wednesday, January 4, 2017

All My Best

God-belief is fascinating.
In most of us, and in me, a sliver
of faith - that if I do my best,
Maybe, just maybe, it'll make a difference.

And if there is a god, maybe the two of us:
Can cooperate.
Or, something like that.
And maybe my best is well-received.

That's how I read this morning, Psalm 20:

The LORD answer you in the day of trouble!
The name of the God of Jacob protect you!
2 May he send you help from the sanctuary,
and give you support from Zion.
3 May he remember all your offerings,
and regard with favor your burnt sacrifices.


So, I soldier on in things.
To get a blessing?

I don't think so.
Because the soldiering on is the blessing.
My life coheres when I honor my values:
Faith, hope and love.

So, maybe that's deal.
Honor such things, and somehow the universe responds.
And God remembers all the offerings.
And burnt sacrifices - giving my best.

My best?
Well, that certainly is a variable, too.
But all the pieces of "best" are regarded with favor.
Even when the best is very small.

No comments: