Thursday, March 8, 2012

Walking a Labyrinth

From a dear friend and a very good writer, Dawn:


It was an interesting journey with lots of insight into how God leads us on the journey of life.  At first I was thinking of the path to the center as a journey toward God, but then at the center I realized that the red bricks beneath my feet there were the same as the red bricks under my feet all along the path and I thought about Christ's promise that he will never leave us or forsake us.

As I walked long sections in one direction I was grateful for the times in life when things go smooth and life is easy and joyful.  In the sharp turns I was reminded of our need to repent and thankful for the opportunity that God gives us to do so.

As I pondered the difference between walking by faith and walking by sight, I realized that I could still look about and see other choices and options with my eyes (sight) while I chose to walk by faith on the path representing God's good plan for my life.  Therefore, just because we follow God's plan doesn't mean that we won't have choices or temptations.  It is when we follow those other choices that we may wind up repeating or skipping parts of the path or if we stray far enough we may end up in the mud, brush, and briers.

The problem with walking by sight is that we tend to look straight ahead of where our feet are pointing.  If you stand on a curved section of the path, especially evident near a hairpin turn, you will notice that your sight is not looking in the direction that the faith path under your feet is taking you.  We walk by faith and not by sight.

Finally, from all places on the path the cross is always visible if we look up, which reminds me of Hebrews 12  - And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.  We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith.  Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne. Think of all the hostility he endured from sinful people; then you won’t become weary and give up.

The Labyrinth is at Holy Cross Evangelical Lutheran Church, Livonia, MI. Click HERE to see some pictures.

No comments: