Friday, December 24, 2010

It is the Night - from a dear FB friend ...


It is the Night

by Amy Shinn Sayers on Friday, December 24, 2010 at 1:08pm

I wrote this last year in the wee hours of the morning on Christmas-thought I'd share it again with you this year.

Much Love~
Amy


It is the night
It is this night

For many years I have tried to picture the setting
in my mind's eye
And while I have many times been moved by its awesomeness
It is this Eve of Christmas
that God would have me feel the tremendous weight of it all


I see the reality of a manger for a crib
I hear the night sounds of an ancient Bethlehem
I smell the stable sweetness-despite its common use

In these wee hours of morning
I have found that if I allow the intimate details
of this birth story to unfold within me
Then I can also taste the body that was broken~
the blood that was poured out-
for me.

And I am humbled

Who am I to want for so much~
when the One who created me
saw it fitting to allow His Son
to find comfort in a manger?

I begin to feel lowly and unworthy
when I compare my earthly desires
to this moment
And yet God's Spirit touches me
And this is what He would have me know~

It is the night
It is this night
that I offer to you, Amy
The Child I sent~ was for you

And suddenly I am aware
That on this night~
I received the greatest gift of all.

No comments: