Tuesday, February 24, 2009

An Open Door

“It turned out to be the opening of a door.”

I read that a few days ago in a Frederick Buechner piece, and it’s been rolling around in my mind ever since.

I’m sure I’ve walked by or around a good many open doors – I either didn’t recognize them for what they were, or I was just too preoccupied to pay attention … or maybe the open door felt too strange for me.

Yet I know of open doors that I’ve walked through. We’ve all those good moments when we’ve said, “Let’s do it!”

I’m not sure we ever fully know what the next door will look like … when Buechner wrote that phrase, it was in hindsight, and most of the open doors of our life are identified in retrospect.

I think God has a hand in all of this.

God guides us, even as we make our decisions and do our best, or maybe even do our worst, or mostly, somewhere in between.

A part of knowing God is knowing God’s kindness and love at work in all things.

It’s not ALL up to you and me! God is a key player in the game.

So, pay attention today, but don’t be too anxious about finding your next door. You are likely to walk through it and not even know it, and God is beside you, though you may not recognize God – who knows, God may appear to you in the guise of a friend, an internet article, or a thought out of the blue.

“It turned out to be the opening of a door.”

No comments: