Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day Miscellany

Came across this hymn phrase this morning:

Day by day, day by day,
O, dear Lord, three things I pray:
To see thee more clearly
Love thee more dearly
Follow thee more nearly
Day by day. (St. Richard of Chichester)

And then from the Apostle Paul:

The saying is sure and worthy of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the foremost. But for that very reason I received mercy, so that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display the utmost patience, making me an example to those who would come to believe in him for eternal life (1 Timothy 1:15-16).

Then from Isaiah and Matthew - Isaiah speaks of the Messiah to come, and Matthew writes of Jesus:

He will not break the bruised reed or
snuff the smoldering wick.

Grace ... kindness ... love ... the stuff to keep on keepin' on ... to face today's junk with deep convictions:
1) This is always my Father's world,
2) My heavenly Father is at work in all things for good,
2) I don't have to be perfect - sometimes all I am is a bruised reed and a smoldering wick - I bring so little to the Table, but His grace preserves me in the turmoil,
3) And maybe I will "see thee a little more clearly" today, manage to "love thee more dearly" and even "follow thee more nearly."

Today is Memorial Day - say a prayer for peace, and remember the women and men fallen in battle - it is their day, and for them, no better words then those penned by Lincoln at Gettysburg:

It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.