Sunday, July 5, 2020

When Abel's Blood Cries Out

I have always loved to sing, "Rock of Ages," not that I can sing. For years, I'd gurgle "Rock of ages, cleft for me," and my family would run off holding their ears.

I love the hymn nonetheless.

It speaks of refuge and safety.

But as of late, a phrase has caught my attention: "Let me hide myself in thee."

Good enough, for sure.
Who does't need a hiding place now and then?

But when hiding becomes permanent, we've got a problem.

I cruise around a lot of fb pages - friends, colleagues, and friends of friends of friends ... especially ministers serving churches.

I find a lot of hiding.

As if the world didn't exist, but only sweet jesus and my happy, happy, congregation.

Covid?
BLM?
Confederate flags?
White supremacy?
Women's rights.
Voter suppression.
Not to mention Brexit, Syria, Russia, and Turkey.

Don't mention it.
Hush up.
Quiet.

Just hide.
Hide from it all.

I think of Elijah in the cave.
And finally God says: Get outta there and do your work.
And it's work, all right.
Political work - kings and such to be anointed and a successor to be mantled.

Who knows?

I'm retired, and that's a safety cleft all of its own.

But I'll express my surprise.
At just how still some are.
When Abel's blood cries out from the earth.

No comments: