Thursday, March 11, 2021

Mountains Snows - a Prayer

For the sun above, bright and clear.
For snow upon the mountains.
For fresh air and cold beauty.
O LORD, my God, my thanks.

And I pray, dear God, that I, in my own unusual way,
Might be the salt of the earth.
And the light of the world.

And if not the world, at least
My small corner of it.
My home, my heart, my circle of friends.

And of my friends, a word of thanks.
Friends present and friends new.
Friends old and friends long gone.

And for the women and men who write the books.
Who embrace the highest values of life and liberty.
Who follow in the steps of a Lincoln and an FDR.
Who challenge the prevailing moods with something higher.
Who listen, not to the clamoring mob, but to the cry of angel.

The push and pull of faith is just that, dear God.
No one fully knows your purpose.
Or the ways of the universe.
Yet, we know - love is everything.
Forgiveness is the heart of it.
Mercy can have no compromise.
Justice must be for all - and if not, it's not for anyone.

O LORD my God: my thanks.
You have been present and kind.
You have taken me by hand.
By calm waters and green pastures you have led.

I vow this day to be my best, as best I can.
To accept my limits, and those of others.
To affirm and lift up.
To speak peace and speak truth.
And if peace would be used to quash truth.
Then choose the truth and bear the cross.

Thank you for the bright sun.
The snow in the mountains.
The pleasure within my heart.
The hope of things to come.

In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Who daily teaches me the ways of life. Amen!

No comments: