Saturday, June 7, 2008

A New Song

“Sing to the LORD a new song” (Psalm 149).

Try a new idea today, read a different book, look at people and things from a different angle. I don’t know about you, but my mind and heart easily slip into a routine. But that’s when things go stale and I start getting bored. The new song can be simple. Drive home a different way. Prepare an unusual recipe. Go to a movie you wouldn’t otherwise see. Find a new restaurant.

When God gave Adam and Eve the Garden, every tree in it was theirs. It’s a big garden, and lots of things to see and do. Though I love the comfort of routine, it doesn’t do my spirit any good. When I find and do something new – even a simple new idea from a book or something I’ve heard on NPR, freshness is added and something grows a little larger.

“Sing to the LORD a new song."